Because I’m a nerd, I decided I wanted a Star Trek quilt. I had seen a quilt on Esty made up of HST (think Postcard from Sweden but with red, blue, gold, and black). I liked the look of the random placement of the HST but I wanted something more….nerdy. So I designed this quilt. It was the second quilt I designed (this is an important piece of information).
I started quilting in July 2016, the same month I designed this quilt. Being a new quilter, a 5″ HST didn’t seem that big. Let me tell you, when you put 304 of them together, it’s big. This quilt is approximately 80″ x 95″. Needless to say, I now know 5″ HST are big enough.
I experienced plenty of thread breakage while doing the first few rows and the last few rows. And the tension changed on it’s own part way through. I’m not sure why any of the problems I had occurred although, I’m inclined to believe the first “set” of thread breakage was due to the bobbin not being wound correctly. Besides that, I’m at a loss for why it happened which made things increasingly more frustrating for a while (thanks Momma Bear for making me continue on).
I started this quilt in October 2016, finished the top in 2017, took months to find the perfect backing (which I did from FabricUtopia on Etsy), and it took months for me to figure out how I wanted to quilt it and what thread to use. My goal was to have it done by the end of 2017 but I got it finished in the beginning of 2018, which is close enough.